Makes: 6 portions
- 1-2 TBSP of good quality olive oil
- 1 medium-sized brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 head of cauliflower, stemmed and cut into little florets
- 1 red capsicum, cubed
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 TBSP of cumin powder
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 3 cups)
- 1 cup of red lentils, soaked and drained
- ½ cup of good quality vegetable stock
- 400g or 1 tin of red kidney beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of tomato paste
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to serve
- Nutritional yeast to serve
- 1 handful of chopped fresh coriander
- In a large pan, cook your chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add your chopped carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower and capsicum and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add your spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add your chopped tomatoes, lentils, kidney beans, stock, tomato paste, black pepper to taste and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and fresh coriander just before serving
- Enjoy with a beautiful fresh salad.