- 1 ¾ cups of wholemeal spelt or rice flour
- 1 ½ tsp of gluten-free baking powder (make your own with brown rice flour, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 pinch of good quality salt (e.g. pink Himalayan)
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla bean, ground (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of granulated date sugar
- 1 TBSP of organic lemon zest
- ½ cup of plant based yoghurt
- ½ cup of plant based milk
- ½ cup of date syrup
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 TBSP of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 TBSP of water
- 1 ½ cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 TBSP of granulated date sugar
- 1 TBSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tin of full fat coconut cream, chilled /alternatively use 1 avocado
- 2 TBSP of fresh lemon juice
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup of granulated date sugar
- 1 TBSP of tapioca starch
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla bean
Optional: More fresh blueberries for decoration
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees and prepare your baking dish with baking paper.
- For the base: Mix your dry ingredients, except for the blueberries in a large bowl.
- In another, bowl mix your wet ingredients.
- Add your wet ingredients to the dry and combine. Mix your blueberries under.
- Pour your batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes (depending on your oven – it takes 30 minutes in mine).
- To make your blueberry jam: While your cake is baking, heat all of your blueberry reduction ingredients in a small saucepan, simmer, mash blueberries and keep stirring until reduced. Take from heat and let cool in separate bowl.
- To make your lemon cream: Take your coconut cream out of the fridge and pour coconut liquids in a separate cup (keep and make something different with it). Add the coconut cream solids into a bowl, add the rest of your ingredients and mix with hand mixer until combined.
- To assemble your cake: Cut your lemon base into two halves. Spread blueberry reduction and lemon cream on one half of your cake base. Top it with the other half and top with more blueberry reduction and lemon cream. Decorate with more blueberries if you wish. Enjoy!
Keeps in fridge for 4-5 days.