To make the apple cake:
- 3 apples, chopped
- 1 cup of buckwheat or wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (make your own)
- Good pinch of good quality salt
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 80 – 100g of date syrup
- 120ml of plant milk
- 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar
- 100g of coconut oil, melted
To make the crumble:
- ½ of buckwheat or wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 TBSP of granulated date sugar
- 35g of coconut oil, unmelted works better here
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and grease your baking dish with coconut oil before lining it with baking paper.
- To make the apple cake: In a large bowl mix all your dry ingredients together.
- In a smaller bowl, mix all your wet ingredients except for the coconut oil.
- Pour your wet ingredient mixture into the dry ones, then add your melted coconut oil and mix briefly by hand until all ingredients are combined. Mixing too long here will make the dough too soft.
- Place the dough into your prepared baking dish and add your chopped apples on top.
- To make your crumble: roughly knead your flour, coconut oil and date sugar together, creating a crumply consistency.
- Top your cake with your crumble and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow your cake to completely cool down before cutting.
- Enjoy guilt-free!