It’s not a grain, it’s a seed! This makes it a great, protein rich, gluten-free and nutritious alternative to many traditional grains.
So if bulky grains or gluten irritate your gut, quinoa is an easy replacement for rice or couscous in your meals. It’s also a delicious way to make a salad that little bit more satisfying while adding an interesting texture. Below I have collated some of my favourite quinoa recipes for you to try, click the links for full recipes.
To cook your quinoa perfectly:
1. Measure out your quinoa using 1 cup of quinoa to 1 ½ cups of water. Make extra for the next day!
2. Wash quinoa well under cold water in a fine strainer, gently rubbing the seeds together with your hands.
3. Combine 1 cup of washed quinoa to 1 1/2 cups water and place them both into a pot.
Add a very small pinch of sea salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cover.
4. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes or until all the water has absorbed then turn off the heat.
5. Rest for at least 10 minutes. Fluff up the quinoa lightly with a fork.
Here are some of my favourite ways to use quinoa in my cooking:
– Bulk up a casserole or curry while adding nutrients and protein
– Replace rice or couscous with quinoa as a side to your favourite meals
– Add quinoa to salads for extra taste and crunch:
– Create satisfying and delicious breakfast bowls:
Want to read more about Quinoa? Make sure you check out the very comprehensive and fantastic article on Quinoa by Health Ambition: