- 1 TBSP virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly chopped or crushed
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1-2 tsp of turmeric, ground
- 1 cup of red lentils, soaked, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of barely, rinsed and soaked
- 3-4 cups of good-quality vegetable stock (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into little pieces
- ½ head of cauliflower, cut into little florets
- 1 cup of green beans, frozen
- 1 tin of organic 4-bean mix (such as kidney, cannellini beans, chickpeas etc), rinsed and drained
- 3-4 TBSP of pure tomato passata
- 1-2 tsp of good quality apple cider vinegar (containing the mother)
- Good quality black pepper to taste
- Optional: sprinkle with roasted almonds and chilli flakes
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and sauté onion, garlic and spices over medium to low heat, stirring frequently to avoid spices from burning.
- Add carrot and lentils and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Tip: add a little bit of filtered water (1-2 TBSP) if spices are getting too hot.
- Add your vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Add your barely, cauliflower, green beans and mixed beans, tomato passata, apple cider vinegar and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until all your vegetables are cooked (about 25 minutes).
- Sprinkle with roasted almond splinters and chilli flakes if you like.