To prepare the roasted vegetables:
- 1 large to medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large or medium sized heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper and a little herbal sea salt to taste
To prepare the salad:
- ½ cup of brown or green lentils, soaked and rinsed
- 1-2 large bunches of kale
- 1-2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of parsley
- ¼ cup of walnuts
- ¼ cup of pepita seeds
- 1-2 TBSP of lemon juice
- 4 TBSP of cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 TBSP of apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 1 TBSP of grated ginger
- Optional: 1 tsp of rice malt syrup
- Good quality salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, fan-forced and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Rinse and drain your lentils and cook in vegetable broth or good quality salt until tender (about 30 – 40 minutes).
- In a little bowl, mix together your olive oil and spices and toss your sweet potatoes in your olive oil mixture before spreading them onto one of the trays.
- Repeat with your broccoli florets, ensuring they are not completely soaked but rather slightly coated and season with black pepper and a little salt if you wish. Set the baking sheet with broccoli aside.
- Drizzle any leftover oil mixture onto the sweet potato cubes, season with black pepper and a little salt if you wish and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, start roasting your broccoli florets for another 15 -20 minutes. (Total roasting time of vegetables should be between 25 – 30 minutes, depending on your oven. Vegetables are done when broccoli florets are crispy and sweet potato cubes soft and tender.
- In the meantime, wash your kale, trim of the branches and rip or cut into bite sized pieces.
- In a little bowl, mix together the dressing.
- Use half of the dressing to massage the into the kale.
- Assemble your salad by adding cooked lentils, roasted sweet potatoes, and broccoli florets to your bed of massaged kale. Sprinkle with spring onions and parley.
- Drizzle with the remaining sauce and top with walnuts and pepita seeds.