(Vg, Gf, refined sugar-free)
- 2 1/3 cups of wholemeal rice flour
- 1 1/3 cups of almond meal
- 1 pinch of good quality salt (e.g. pink Himalayan)
- 1 -2 tsp of pure vanilla bean, ground (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of granulated date sugar
- 2 tsp of gf baking powder
- 1 tsp of psyllium husk
- 1 TBSP of organic lemon zest
- 1 ¼ cup of almond milk
- 1 piece of lemon juiced into fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup of date syrup
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup of coconut oil or ½ cup of ghee and ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 litre of plant milk
- 2 packages of sugar-free pure vanilla-bean custard
- 1 – 2 tsp of pure vanilla bean ground
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 4 TBSP of granulated date sugar
- 2-4 TBSP of coconut oil or ghee
- 1 piece of lemon, freshly juiced
- ¼ – ½ cup of aquafaba
- A handful of fresh or frozen berries of choice
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees and prepare your baking dish with baking paper.
- For the base: Mix your dry ingredients, in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, make your vegan butter milk by mixing your plant milk with your lemon juice.
- In a small saucepan, melt your choice of oil with the date syrup and combine with the buttermilk.
- Add your applesauce to the dry ingredients, then your buttermilk mixture. Stir until well combined and cake batter has desired consistency.
- Pour your batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes (depending on your oven – it takes 30 minutes in mine).
- For the vanilla cream: While your cake is baking, fill 6 TBSP of your plant milk into a small bowl and combine with the 2 sachets of vanilla custard. In a saucepan, bring the rest of the milk with the date sugar and oil to a boil.
- Mix the custard mixture into the heated milk mixture and stir until well combined and creamy.
- Add your aquafaba and lemon juice to your high-speed blender or if using a hand mixer to a separate bowl, and beat your aquafaba with the lemon juice until fluffy.
- Add your aquafaba mixture to your custard mixture. Store in the fridge.
- To assemble your cake: Once your base has cooled, cut your vanilla base into two halves. Spread vanilla cream on one-half of your cake base. Top it with the other half, top with more vanilla cream and if desired, cover the sides with cream too. Decorate with frozen or fresh berries if you wish. Enjoy!
Keeps in fridge for 4-5 days or for 3 months in the freezer.