I totally love Anzac biscuits. However, I am not a fan of the roller-coaster road my blood sugar gives me if I indulge in sweet treats made from refined sugar and flour. Not to mention the yucky, somewhat guilty feeling, that will take a close grip of me in the aftermath of my reckless cookie consumption. Hence, I have come up with this much healthier version of those festive, deliciously crumbly baked goodies.
By eliminating refined sugar and flour and replacing those with rice malt syrup, buckwheat flour and rolled oats, I ensure my blood sugar levels are kept stable. Adding wholegrains with all their health-promoting fibre is not only keeping me full for longer and will help me recognize my satiety cues quicker, thus prevent me from over-eating, it also lowers my risk of breast-cancer and other chronic conditions.
Not using a sweetener that contains large amounts of fructose supports healthy liver function and protects my body from falling into the fatty liver trap. As you know a well-functioning liver is crucial for a healthy metabolism, proper elimination of accumulated waste material and in doing so keeping you aligned with those weight goals of yours.
So, I don’t know about you, but this is definitely enough motivation for me to give the old version of those delicious cookies a healthy overhaul. Especially, since the biscuits’ new, healthy outfit, does not at all compromise their taste…but I let you be your own judge…get on cooking, gorgeous ones! Have fun and enjoy – guiltlessly.
- 1 cup of good quality rolled oats
- ½ cup of organic desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp of gluten-free baking powder (make your own with bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar)
- 1 tsp of ground pure vanilla bean
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of good quality salt
- 1 egg (organic, free-range)
- 3 TBSP of coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 3 TBSP of rice-malt syrup
- 2 TBSP of filtered water
- 1 Apple or Pear, cut in chunks or cubes (or ½ apple/ ½ pear – get creative, works also with brown bananas or overripe plums)
- Line your baking tray with paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients.
- Mix your wet ingredients into your dry ones until well combined.
- Form into little balls and then flatten onto tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave your delicious, golden biscuits to cool before enjoying them or storing them in your favourite cute cookie box.
1 thought on “Guiltfree Golden Anzac Biscuits”
Thanks Ruth I will try these.xx