To make the crust
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa, chilled
- 1 egg, organic
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- Good quality salt and black pepper to taste
To make the filling
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 4 brown mushrooms, washed or peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach leaves (or alternatively one package of organic frozen spinach)
- 4 eggs, organic
- ½ cup of almond milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Good quality salt and pepper to taste
- 80 – 100 g of good quality Feta cheese
- 2-3 tomatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees and line your ovenproof dish with baking paper.
- Cook your quinoa according to instructions on package and set aside to cool.
- Once your quinoa is cooled down, combine with egg, turmeric, salt and pepper and press this mixture firmly into your baking dish and up the sides of your dish.
- Put into the oven, while you start preparing your filling.
- To prepare the filling of your quiche, in a large frying pan or wok add your oil and sauté your onion, add your garlic.
- Once your onion is translucent and garlic has started to spread aroma, add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add your spinach and cook until wilted (about another 5 minutes). (If using frozen, packaged spinach, cook in separate pot while sautéing onions, garlic and mushrooms and add once mushrooms are tender; avoid adding too much liquid form spinach).
- Take your quinoa curst out of the oven and carefully without burning yourself, arrange your vegetable filling onto your quinoa crust.
- Whisk the remaining eggs, nut-milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg together and pour over your spinach filling.
- Crumble the feta on top and top with your sliced tomatoes.
- Return your dish into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes or until your quiche is golden brown. Serve with a delicious salad and enjoy.