- 1-2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- ½ tsp of chilli or little knob of finely cut fresh ginger
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 4 cups of good quality vegetable stock (or stock of your choice)
- 1 cup of red lentils (soaked, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup of good quality (additive and preservative free) coconut milk (or make your own)
- 1 medium sized brown onion
- 1-2 bunch of leek
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 1 medium sized head of broccoli
- 4-5 stalks of kale
- ½ green cabbage
Brown onion and leek in olive oil, add spices. Add stock, lentils, vegetables and coconut milk, bring to boil and let simmer for about 1 hour or until most of stock has been soaked up into vegetables. Either mash or enjoy as it is.
Don’t be afraid to tweak recipe so it fits your taste buds and into your lifestyle and add other vegetables, spices or make a soup instead.
To make your own coconut milk: use 1 cup of unsweetened organic shredded coconut to 2 cups of filtered water, blitz and strain through nut-bag or fine-meshed strainer.
Be sure to keep the coconut pulp and use in bliss balls or my delicious ‘oh so quick chocolate cookies’ …or simply refrigerate and enjoy the pulp as it is