Vegan ‘Cheesy’ White Sauce
- 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 medium sized brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ head of a medium sized cauliflower, chopped
- 5 cups of good quality vegetable stock
- Good quality black pepper and possibly additional salt to taste, freshly ground
- Pinch of nutmeg, ground
- 1 TBSP of nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ cup of nut mylk
Kale and Lentil Bake
- 1 cup of uncooked brown lentils, soaked in a little bit of apple cider vinegar for at least 4 hours, rinsed and drained
- 2 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 medium sized brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and cut
- 5 cups of tomato paste
- 2 medium sized fresh tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed and cut or ripped into small pieces
- Good quality salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of silvered almonds or sunflower seeds
- 2 TBSP of chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees and grease your baking dish.
- Cook your lentils according to directions on package.
To prepare your ‘Cheesy’ Vegan White sauce:
- In a large pan, sauté your onions and garlic in oil until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower florets and briefly sauté in onion mixture stirring frequently before adding the vegetable stock. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is very tender and will easily fall apart.
- Add cauliflower mixture to your blender. Add nut-mylk, nutmeg, nutritional yeast flakes and pepper and if needed additional salt.
- Blend until smooth and creamy and set aside.
To prepare and assemble your kale and lentils bake:
- In a clean pan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add carrot pieces and cook until almost tender.
- Stir in lentils, and kale, possibly adding a few tablespoons of water to prevent from sticking onto your pan.
- Simmer until kale is wilted.
- Pour a thin layer of your white sauce into the base of your baking dish and top with your kale mixture. Repeat until both sauces are used up. Finish with your white sauce on top.
- Top with your sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with silvered almonds or sunflower seeds and bake for 30 minutes or until ready.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.