For the salad:
- 1 cup of short grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ yellow capsicum, washed, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 Nori sheets, quartered and cut into thin stripes
- 1 cup of shelled edamame
- ¼ cup of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 2 cups of kale leaves
- 2 TBSP of white sesame seeds
- 2 TBSP of black sesame seeds
- Optional: 1 medium slice of raw salmon fillet, cut into cubes or 100 g of smoked salmon, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 TBSP of cold pressed sesame oil or alternatively olive oil
- 1 TBSP wasabi paste
- 2 TBSP salt-reduced tamari sauce
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ TBSP rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- Rinse the brown rice, using a fine-mesh strainer and pour into pot. Add two cups of filtered water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until your rice is cooked and no water is left.
- Meanwhile prepare all your raw vegetables: thinly slice your cucumber, capsicum, radishes, avocado and spring onion; grate your carrot and ginger.
- Quarter your Nori sheets and in a small bowl prepare your dressing by mixing all of your ingredients together.
To assemble your salad, put your spinach and kale leaves at the bottom of a large bowl, then add your cooked rice and prepped vegetables. Add your Nori sheets, edamame and salmon if using. Drizzle over your dressing and gently stir to combine. Top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!